[Avodah] G-d and logic

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 12 08:35:22 PDT 2016

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 10:42:50AM +0000, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
: I don't understand how G-d can contradict logic...

Because we use logic to understand things. The chisaron is in "understand"
not the possibility being discussed.

Lemashal, Quantum Logic is very different than the logic we use to think
with, and yet, it's still a logic with its own rules. Can you understand
how
   electron X is spin-up or spin-down, and X is spin-left

could be true, while the statement
   electron X is either spin-up and spin-left, or
   X is spin-down and spin-left

might not? And yet, the difference is experimentally provable.

Saying that Hashem can violate logic inherently means that some of His
Actions are among the non-understandable things about Him.

: An all powerful deity has nothing to do with violating logic...

Nu, so you agree with the Rambam. That "a round triangle" is a nonsense
phrase, not describing something that can or cannot be done.

Modern studies into logic, which has reveals that there is no one true
logical system, have made me more skeptical.

OTOH, if Hashem can defy logic, how would we ever be able to use logic to
argue the point? Any proof of the position I attributed to the Ramchal and
Zev attributes to Chassidus would require ruling out an adherance to logic
rather than pro-atively arguing for its defiance.

micha at aishdas.org        2 weeks and 5 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Hod sheb'Tifferes: When does harmony promote
Fax: (270) 514-1507                         withdrawal and submission?