[Avodah] Ramchal: Hashem not bound by logic?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed May 11 03:04:15 PDT 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 01:20:03AM -0400, H Lampel wrote:
: > He doesn't say this WRT to the nature of halakhah in particular. I
: > was quoting his position on logic and theology in general. See
: > <http://www.aishdas.org/asp/2005/07/hashem-and-logic.shtml>, where I
: > discuss what seems to me to be a machloqes between the Moreh 3:15 and
: > Pischei Chokhmah 30.

: And I therefore assumed that when you repeated this recently without
: citing the source, you still had the same source in mind.

Because there we were discussing something about logic and theology in
general -- that it has no law of excluded middle. Or in English, the
specific rule of paradoxes does not apply to G-d nor the shorashim
of creation.

And his version of the thesis of zeh le'umas zeh is in pesach 30.

(R' Tzadoq (Resisei Lailah #17) also uses zeh le'umas zeh and the idea
that paradox is only prohibited bepo'al, not bemachashavah, to explain
eilu va'eilu.)

It is also sufficient for this conversation, as it shows that G-d can
make a paradox manifest.

However, I am still on the hunt for the source of the specific idea I
was repeating from R' Aryeh Kaplan, that logic as a whole is a nivra
rather than an aspect of Emes. (Work being what it has been the last
week and a half, it's a very part time hunt.)

micha at aishdas.org        2 weeks and 4 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Tifferes: What is imposing about
Fax: (270) 514-1507                             balance?