[Avodah] buffalo

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 10 13:31:49 PDT 2016

On 05/10/2016 03:20 PM, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
> YD 28:4 discusses a buffalo. What animal are the mechaber and Rama
> talking about (American Bison wasn't discovered yet)

They are  discussing the buffalo (Bubalus bubalis), obviously, not the
bison (Bison bison).  Buffalo have been known in Europe and Asia for
thousands of years, and have nothing to do with bison.

Americans may be in the sloppy habit of calling bison "buffalo", but
since neither the Mechaber nor the Rama were American this is irrelevant.
Americans also have a fish they call "buffalo", but that's equally
irrelevant.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other