[Avodah] Rav Sharki on university students

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 5 13:53:36 PDT 2016

From: Akiva Miller via Avodah <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>
I  don't know if I've gone off topic or not. I guess my point has been
merely to  illustrate that there's little or no difference between a world
where there  are no Nazis, and a world where there are no birth defects.

Akiva  Miller

I don't know how you can say that.  Admittedly, the Creator apparently
wanted a world in which there are both Nazis /and/ birth defects, since that's
the world He created.  But there is a HUGE difference between the two --
between the pain caused by evil people through their own free will, and the
suffering that occurs as the result of disease and other natural  causes.

One thought experiment will illustrate the difference.  Imagine a  mother
whose child dies as the result of a birth defect.  Let's even say  the child
dies after a period of pain and suffering.  Now imagine another  mother
whose child dies because a Nazi snatched the child from her arms and  killed the
child in some sadistic way, in front of the mother's eyes.  Both  mothers
suffer terrible pain and grief.  But even if both children "only"  suffered
the same amount of pain before dying, you can see that there would be  a huge
difference between a world in which no disease would ever kill a  child and
a world in which no Nazi would ever kill a child.

--Toby  Katz
t613k at aol.com
..