[Avodah] Spring Mesorah Challenges – מסורה בשבוע אחר פסח

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 5 09:55:41 PDT 2016

On 05/05/2016 10:24 AM, Lawrence Levine via Avodah wrote:
> Please see
> http://tinyurl.com/z5ccs4e

1) Every Ashkenazi siddur says that in summer we say vesein brocho and (in
places where it's customary) morid hatol, and in winter we say tal umotor
and mashiv horuach.   Since we are now saying the former, it is summer,
and wishing each other a good summer is therefore appropriate.

2) There is no pressure on anyone to bake a shlissel challah.  The blogger
is engaging in a fantasy so he can rant about it.  Rather, every year we
are subjected to ranting from opponents of this custom who can't bear the
thought that some people do have it.  The blogger has his mesorah, and
good on him for adhering to it, but it is irrelevant to the vast majority
of us who do not share it.

Those who don't have this particular custom of  are free not to do it,
and nobody will denounce them for it; but they must have the same respect
for those who do it, whether because their ancestors did it as far back
as anyone knows, or because they heard about it last week and decided it
sounded like a nice thing to do.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other