[Avodah] chumrah and kulah

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 5 08:48:08 PDT 2016

On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 05:02:38AM +0200, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
: For every inheritance case that would be solved, we'd probably be
: declaring someone else to be a mamzer if we accept DNA. Is it worth
: it?

Mamzeirus is not a good example for a general discussion of chumeros.
Kivan denitma nitma. There is a gezeiras hakasuv that we are to ignore
most sefeiqos -- safeiq mamzer in a yichus-ly kosher community, or a
mamzer in a safeiq community.

(See <http://www.dafyomi.co.il/kidushin/halachah/kd-hl-075.htm> for
a nice discussion.)

I think it would be assur to check mamzeirus using DNA, except in those
few cases where we otherwise are chosheish for the safeiq anyway, like
a shetuqi or asufi.

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 5 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Hod sheb'Gevurah: What aspect of judgment
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  forces the "judge" into submission?