[Avodah] minag avos

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed May 4 17:47:47 PDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 08:34:09PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: Interesting article to read (I have the PDF) - Joseph Davis - "The
: Reception of the Shulchan Arukh and the Formation of Ashkenazic Jewish
: Identity". Points to correlations between codifications in the "outside
: world" and Halacha as well as moving from geographic minhag/identity to
: others subunits (e.g. ethnic).

I am curious to see that article, because I would have thought the
causality was the reverse. The Rama knew of an Ashkenazi mesorah that had
numerous differences with Sepharadi pesaq since well before the SA. It was
on that basis thyat he was able to categorize the SA as "their" rulings.

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 4 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Gevurah: What is imposing about
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            strict justice?