[Avodah] Parlez Vous Old French?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 3 07:40:14 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 03, 2016 at 12:43:39AM +0200, Arie Folger via Avodah wrote:
: I think that etymologies don't always need to be causative; they can also
: be folk etymologies or pseudoetymologies. Rashi, or whoever added that
: gloss, found a great vort on French, which allowed him to better convey the
: meaning of the verb lifsoach to a French speaking audience. It is a stroke
: of genius that serves its purpose well.

Much of what gets called "chassidishe Torah" is similar -- it's not a real
answer to the question posed, but it is real Torah. Presented in a way that
makes a roshem on a listener.

As for etymologies, I think there is also a gray area. "Yarmulka" is a
term in a number of Slavic languages for whatever cap the locals wore.
But if no one had created the folk etymology of "yarei Malka", would the
term have become as widespread or as long-lived as it did?

Historically, the name Shneiur is from Signor or perhaps Spanish Sen~or,
or most likely the original Latin "Senior", which means "Zaqein", with
all the implications of sagicity. But I think more Shneiurs today are
named for the shnei or of Shabbos licht. Especially since that's why R
Aharon and Rn Rivqah Chanah Perel Kotler chose the name for their son,
born Friday evening.

(BTW, RSK was a dapper looking man in his Chevron days
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shneur_Kotler#/media/File:Rabbi_Shneur_Kotler.jpg
Found it while looking to confirm the story about when he was born.)

OTOH, Marche-shvan vs "Mar Cheshvan" has halachic import, and one cannot
let the folk etymology cause people to write the wrong thing on a gett;
nor to forget that the month names were from galus Bavel, and not related
to the Hebrew word "mar".

But in general, folk etymologies too have causitive power. (It's just
that in my last example, I think we need to resist it.)

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Gevurah: When does strict
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  judgment bring balance and harmony?