[Avodah] Understanding an Unfriendly Minhag: Not Eating Out on Pesach

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun May 1 21:35:11 PDT 2016

On 05/01/2016 05:48 PM, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> I did not see any suggestion of why someone would want to act this
> way, or any explanation of how this practice got started. This is
> especially so in situations where the kashrus standards of the
> would-be host are at least as high as those of the would-be guest.

I believe it got started because on Pesach there are so many different
standards that it's often difficult to be sure that this is the case.
Even if the host has more chumros than the guest, they may be different
ones, and there will be something the guest doesn't eat and the host does.
Detailed inquiry about these matters may be embarrassing.  If the guest
is certain that the host's standards are as strict or stricter than his
own in all matters, then AFAIK the minhag doesn't apply.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week