[Avodah] RMF Mattir Neder Gebrochts

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Apr 24 04:00:31 PDT 2016

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 2:44 AM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
> Notice we have convlicting reports about RYSE, but the one who says
> he allowed leaving the minhag of gebrochts didn't so much dismiss the
> minhag as wrong as much as agree with the ST ...

> IOW, my wanting confirmation of the story about RMF has to do with my
> opinion of RMF's tendencies in pesaq. Not that the idea is inadmissable.
> And I'm betting that if RMF did advise hataras nedarim, it was for
> reasons similar to the RYSE report.

May we assert that no matter the number of participants who follow a
custom, the numbers do not make a binding Minhag that requires Hatarah -
as R H Schachter wrote about eating hard Matza.

May I venture that a Posek who suggests that it does require [or will not
permit] Hatarah is also only protecting broader issues or being polite. A
Posek's opinion is therefore no better than the position taken by Reb
Moshe. What we require is that the matter have some Halachic foundation.
But we have yet to see any practical/Halachic foundation that there is
a risk that Matzos may become Chamets if they become wet.

The closest true argument was documented by the ShTeshuvah who clearly
related the problem to the type of Matza baked to be used for Gebrochts
- it was at risk of not being properly baked [presumably because they
were trying to keep it as white a possible] and being Chamets in the
first place - it actually had nothing to do with the Matza Meal becoming
wet. And that problem was solved by modifying the Matza baked for meal
to be baked hard.

Best,
Meir G. Rabi