[Avodah] Black on black tefillin retzuos

D Rubin via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 5 14:57:10 PDT 2016

Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 11:41:21 +0300
From: Marty Bluke via Avodah <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>
> The black on black retzuos dress these 2 halachic issues. The way they are
> made is that the whole retzua is soaked in black paint/dye for a long time
> and the dye is absorbed deeply into the leather. Then optionally an
> additional coat of glossy black is applied to 1 side.This addresses the
> above 2 issues.
> 1. Since the retzua is soaked in dye and it is deeply absorbed it doesn't
> peel off or crack, it stays black
> 2. The sides are black as well.

> The only objection that I heard was this is a chidush,  this is not the
> traditional way of making retzuos and if this was a good idea why didn't
> the gedolim of yesteryear come up with it. Additionally, none of the
> gedolim today use black on black retzuos

This is not so simple. It might be argued that the 'optional' addition
of a glossy side is not so optional.

Rashi says, the outside of the retsuos need to be the 'noy' [beauty]. In
the old manner of painting - and not soaking - the retsuos, this was
quite simple. The painted side represented the noy. Soaking the skins
does not give a pleasant finished article. Thus, i would argue, the
addition of a glossy side is imperative.

A point that was missed is the opinion of the Arizal, that the retsuos
of shel rosh should be black on both sides. (However, from previous
argument it would appear that might entail a nice finish on both sides.)

The objection that this new process is a chiddush is somewhat faulty. I
possess retsuos of over 200 years. It is clear that the original method
of manufacture was very different 200 years ago. The entire skin was not
treated. Rather, strips were cut off and then painted. This enabled the
sides to be painted as well.

Thus, the entire way retsuos are manufactured nowadays represents a
departure from tradition.

The reason, perhaps, why gedolim may be reluctant on taking on this
chumrah, is that it may be misconstrued as halacha.

Dovid Rubin

Your soul is a part of God, part of His Infinite Essence. You are beyond
limit, estimation or assessment. Ever since creation, the world has been
waiting for you. Since your soul realised itself, it has been waiting
for its time to perform its unique tasks of improvement.