[Avodah] Evidence of the United Monarchy

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 5 04:13:02 PDT 2016

Aside from his name being Schiffman, and not Fishman, I have to disagree
with his identifications.  The Iron II remains he's talking about are
not from the United Monarchy.  Rather, they are from the Assyrian
occupation and Samaritan settlement.  And in fact, they *match* the
Assyrian occupation and Samaritan settlement, but do not in any way
match the United Monarchy, which is why he had to give the caveat that:

/The elimination of these more extreme, minimalist views of the period
of the United Monarchy does not give us an excuse to adopt a simplistic
or fundamentalist reading of the biblical historical accounts and the
archaeological evidence. Rather, it calls upon us to ask how, when taken
together, the age-old historical traditions of the Jewish people can be
melded with archaeological evidence from the Land of Israel and evidence
from surrounding cultures in the ancient Near East. Our challenge,
therefore, is not to ask whether or not biblical accounts and
archaeological evidence are true or not, but rather how, when taken
together, the evidence available to us can allow us to reconstruct a
sense of what the society was like that produced the biblical traditions
that we have received.//
/
This is a roundabout way of saying that the remains don't match the
biblical narrative, but we can, if we try really hard, kinda see how the
remains were later enlarged into the biblical fantasy.  He also says:

/In the monarchic period a uniformity of architectural forms throughout
Judah/Israel has been discovered... Architecturally the public city
gates of Gezer, Megiddo, and Hazor are strikingly similar: the walls are
very thick and feature casemates where people lived or that were used
for storage... The uniformity of the features of the great public
buildings in these cities suggests a royal administration./

Substituting Iron II for the incorrect "monarchic period", this is
understandable, since the uniform architecture was the result of local
governors from the same Assyrian empire.  But of course, the
architecture of Solomon was on a scale far above that of the Iron II
buildings.  Interestingly enough, the cities where these uniform city
gates were found are, each of them, in the regional capitols of areas
conquered by Assyria.  He leaves off Lachish, which has the same gates,
and which was the Assyrian capitol of their province of Judea in the
time between their conquest of all Judea other than Jerusalem and their
withdrawal after they were struck down before the gates of Jerusalem.

Lisa