[Avodah] Only Through Torah Learning

Professor L. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Jun 23 12:19:51 PDT 2016

The following is from Rav Schwab on Prayer page 300 where he comments on v'ychad levavainu l'ahavah u'l'yereh shmecha which we say in the bracha before Krias Shema.

The combination of ahavas Hashem and yiras Hashem can be achieved
only through learning Torah. Without limud haTorah, any feelings of
longing that a person may have for the Jewish way of life as practiced in the
old kehillos of the towns and villages of Europe do not represent the love or
fear of HaKadosh Baruch Hu. Rather, they are mostly nostalgic sentiments,
somewhat like that which is expressed by the song "Mein Shtetele Belz. "
They have no real connection with HaKadosh Baruch Hu. Such a connection
can be achieved only through limud ha Torah. One cannot fear or love
something that is only an idea. By learning Torah, we recognize the reality
of HaKadosh Baruch Hu and, consequently, can achieve both ahavas
Hashem and yiras Hashem.

Love and fear are really contradicting relationships. One either fears
another, or loves him. Love draws one to something, and fear repels one
from it. We therefore ask HaKadosh Baruch Hu in this tefillah that in our
relationship to Him, He allow us to have both sentiments, that of our love
for Him, together with our fear of violating His will. This is the meaning of

v'ychad levavainu·

To "fear" HaKadosh Baruch Hu does not mean that one must constantly
tremble before Him. Rather, it means that one is to be afraid to violate His
will. This is similar to the fear a driver has of going through a red light,
which does not mean that he sits in his car and trembles. On the contrary,
he can be very relaxed, while at the same time being acutely aware of the
danger to his life should he go through that red light. This "fear" actually
makes driving very safe. Similarly, we ask HaKadosh Baruch Hu to unify
our hearts, l'yachad. to love Him, while at the same time, to make us afraid of
transgressing His will.

YL