[Avodah] Avodah Digest, Vol 34, Issue 70

Allen Gerstl via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jun 17 13:23:31 PDT 2016

On  Fri, 17 Jun 2016 14:03:17 -0400
R' Sholom Simon
wrote:
> 2.  Same scenario,but we're talking about a school, or a
> teacher/educator.  A younger rav wants to move in, because he thinks
> he can do it better.  In this case we davka want to encourage
> competition, even though it might put the present teacher/school out
> of business, because in this case -- teaching our children torah --
> competition that might provide a better product is more important
> than the parnassa of who might be put out of business.
                                   .           .            .

> I gave the above example to a few educators last weekend, and they
> all jumped out of their chairs asking me: where in the gemara is this?!?!
>
> I have no idea!  Can anyone here provide a mareh mekomo to this
> idea?  (Am I even telling it over correctly?  Has anyone heard this?)

Please see
http://www.jlaw.com/Articles/hasagatgevul.html

The above issue is discussed at about footnote 22 (about three quarters of the way down in the article) and the Gemorah cited is Baba Batra 21b-22a

I recall a similar question coming before the late Rav Gedaliah Felder, the posek of Toronto and that he told a group of us participating in a shiur that he gave. He had ruled as above.

KT
Eliyahu