[Avodah] mareh mekomo -- talmud torah rules!

Sholom Simon via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jun 17 11:03:17 PDT 2016

I remember reading a generalized essay on why learning the gemara was
good for you, and the writer was exploring the idea (making the
point) that the gemara explains to us values that we wouldn't have
otherwise thought of on our own.

He gave (if I'm remembering correctly) the following example:

1.  A town has a single shochet.  A younger shochet wants to move in
to town with the latest "shochet" technology -- whatever that
is.  The point is that he thinks he can provide his services more
efficiently and at less cost to the community.  In this case, the
gemara tells us (al pi this rav-writer) that the beis din of the town
can decide that the town can't support the competition, and weigh the
fact that the older shochet might be put out of business, etc.  I.e.,
the beis din has a lot of room to enforce a non-competitive monopoly here.

2.  Same scenario,but we're talking about a school, or a
teacher/educator.  A younger rav wants to move in, because he thinks
he can do it better.  In this case we davka want to encourage
competition, even though it might put the present teacher/school out
of business, because in this case -- teaching our children torah --
competition that might provide a better product is more important
than the parnassa of who might be put out of business.

The point that this writer was making, again, is that this
distinction is not something we might have thought on our own.

I gave the above example to a few educators last weekend, and they
all jumped out of their chairs asking me: where in the gemara is this?!?!

I have no idea!  Can anyone here provide a mareh mekomo to this
idea?  (Am I even telling it over correctly?  Has anyone heard this?)

Thanks!

-- Sholom