[Avodah] Cholov Stam Outside of the US

Professor L. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Jun 9 07:31:06 PDT 2016

From

http://tinyurl.com/hezpyyn

Q: I am planning a vacation to some foreign countries, and I assume that since I drink cholov stam, I can drink the milk in the countries I visit. I wanted to double-check with you, just in case.
(A consumer's question)

A: It's a good thing that you contacted us! The heter of cholov stam, which was explained in the previous installment of Halcha Yomis, only pertains to countries which have adequate dairy regulations. The OU's poskim have ruled that European Union nations and other countries with well-enforced dairy regulations qualify for the heter of cholov stam. In countries where such regulations are lacking or are poorly enforced, milk remains prohibited as cholov akum and requires on-site kashrus supervision in order to be permissible.

To inquire about a specific destination please contact the OU via kosherq at ou.org<mailto:kosherq at ou.org?subject=Chalav%20Stam%20-%20Vacation%20Destinations>