[Avodah] Ain machlokess bo

H Lampel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Jun 5 19:50:33 PDT 2016

In //Dynamics of Dispute/,/ I develop the idea that the Rambam, when he
says that there is no //machlokess/ /b'payrush mekubal miSinai/,/ he
does not mean that there were no disputes *about* any explanation agreed
to have been given by Moshe from Hashem at Sinai. He means that there
was no disagreeing *against* any explanation agreed to have been given
by Moshe from Hashem at Sinai.

In note 12 (p. 82) I wrote that in addition to indications that this is
so from other writings of the Rambam and their applications to talmudic
sources, The //Mevo HaTalmud//, attributed to Shmuel HaNaggid, indicates
this definition of the word //machlokess// as well.

I have just found that the Meiri on Avos 5:19, regarding a different
subject, explicitly gives this definition to the word //machlokess//,
explicitly negating it in the other sense.

He writes:

It seems to me that [the use of the word] ''machlokess'' attaches only
to the one who responds to the first [speaker]. I.e. ...when a second
person responds [to the first] and says, ''What you say is proper to do
is improper, or what you taught is wrong,'' this [response] is the
''machlokess.''...the "machlokess" only refers to one of the two sides,
the one that responds to the first.

Another way to put it: Sometimes the word //machlokess/ /refers to an
opposing opinion, not to two or more opposing opinions.

Zvi Lampel