[Avodah] lion king

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Apr 25 12:58:18 PDT 2016

An Areivim exchange...

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 8:08pm IDT, R `Eli Turkel wrote:
> what is the origin of the story that the lion is king of the beasts

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 9:31pm +0300, Lisa Liel wrote:
: According to
: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_depictions_of_lions it comes
: from the lion having been a symbol of kingship in the ancient world.

... Doesn't this just beg the question?

I presume RET is asking -- and if not, I am -- was Yaaqov avinu's berakhah
of Yehudah the first association of lions with melukhah? Or did he draw
from some pre-existing part of the ancient world?

:-)||ii!

Micha Berger             Today is the 2nd day
micha at aishdas.org        in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Chesed: What is constricted
Fax: (270) 514-1507                           Chesed?