[Avodah] minag avos

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 15 08:59:37 PDT 2016

Or if you want, I am equally reviving the threads "Minhag Avos and Minhag haMakom"
(see the group of threads at
<http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=M#MINHAG%20AVOS>)
"Minhagim for Baalei Teshuva"
<http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=M#MINHAGIM%20FOR%20BAALEI%20TESHUVA>
"Paradigm Changes in Halacha"
<http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=P#PARADIGM%20CHANGES%20IN%20HALACHA>
or the quite timely "obsession with kitniyot"
<http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=O#OBSESSION%20WITH%20KITNIYOT>

In AhS this week, I found I was not alone in concluding from Maqom
sheNahagu (Pesachim ch.4, cases in both TB and RY) that there is a
general rule binding one (of a community) to maintain minhag avos.
(At least when there is no conflicting single minhag hamaqom.)

The AhS (YD 119:42, closing paranthetic) cites the minhag of Benei Baishan
(Pesachim 50b) not to travel from Tzur to Tzidon on erev Shabbos. His case
is a visitor who is keeping he minhagim of his host community. The Shakh
and Maharal Chaviv say that if everyone else is eatting something that by
his minhag is prohibited -- not as local pesaq, but as actual minhag --
he may eat it with them. The AhS leaves it with a tzarikh iyun gadol,
because visiting a place should not allow their minhagim to override
minhag avos.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Brains to the lazy
micha at aishdas.org        are like a torch to the blind --
http://www.aishdas.org   a useless burden.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                 - Bechinas haOlam