[Avodah] ohr lagoyim

saul newman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jun 1 09:22:27 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Saul Guberman <saulguberman at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 12:15 PM, saul newman wote:
>> when did this concept in chazal begin?  to which generation could it
>> practically have been implied?
>> was it ever taken seriously?

> A quick search shows that Ohr La Goyim is mentioned 3 times in Yishayahu.
> It is a real concept.  It is meant for every generation.  That you then
> show we have not lived up to that goal at various times and/or other
> nations do not see us that way does not negate the concept.  It shows we or
> they need work in this area.

my point is a bit different than yours. it is that the RBSO arranged
history so that the nation of light should be seen as a scourge of
humanity in all generations; except possibly recent times, when those
clearly NOT living a halachic life are seen by some at least to have
been a source of blessing... furthermore, we fast on the day the
Bible was translated, so we can't even say that the other Abrahamic
religions is the explanation, since they become in a sense Fruit of a
poisonous tree, to use the legal analogy