[Avodah] Solar oven

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Mar 7 13:43:17 PST 2016

On 3/7/2016 11:05 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 01:40:10PM +0000, D Rubin via Avodah wrote:
> : Looks like proper toldoth chamoh bishul, so surely not de'oirayso.
> : It's maybe similar to the machloketh between R. OY and R. SZ about
> : dud shemesh..
>
> Water that was in the dud from before Shabbos:
>
> One has to be choleiq as to whether the food is getting heated directly
> from the sun, in which case it's mutar, or if the device it being heated
> by the sun and then /it/ heats the food.
>
> RSZA (quoted in SSK 1:45) holds that a dud shemesh is heating the water
> direcly by the sun, and therefore mei'iqar hadin mutar. (Ad kan SSK 1st
> ed. Later editions of the SSK end up with "tov lehimana" because the
> typical dud shemesh will draw from an electric boiler if there is more
> hot water.)
Except of course that this isn't the case.  A typical dud shemesh has a
switch inside the home.  When that switch is turned on, there is an
electrical backup.  When it is turned off, there isn't one. Most frum
Jews that I know are makpid to turn that switch off before Shabbat,
which eliminates the problem of SSK later editions.  Unless we're being
gozer shema someone accidentally leaves it on.  Which isn't a reasonable
concern, because you can see whether it's on or not.

Lisa