[Avodah] Proposal for Transforming the Bar Mitzvah -- By Yosef Adler & Yossi Prager -- In Jewish Action -- Winter 5766-2005

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Mar 15 10:13:00 PDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 12:01:14PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: When I am asked my opinion I suggest that unless the boy intends to
: keep up his laining skills it's a waste of effort to learn them in the
: first place, and he should rather learn nusach and how to lead davening,
: which is a skill that he's more likely to put to use later.

Good suggestion.

I also like the idea of a siyum.

And/or a chessed project. (To borrow a page from our non-O brethern.)
Eg a son born on the 2nd day of Chanukah noticed that tzedaqos that give
our Chanukah presents in hospitals think teddy bears and barbie dolls,
so he raised funds, shopped, and distributed gameboys and the like to
tweens and teens. My triplets... the boys raised $16,000 and bought Camp
Simcha Special new wheelchair friendly playground equipment, in memory
of a friend's sister. (The third triplet babysat autistic brothers so
that their father could get to shul Shabbos morning. But we're discussing
bar-, not bat mitzvah.) Some of the others got less creative, but
I think everyone gained /something/.

We've done all of the above, depending on the son. It is rare to
know at 13 that your kid is going to really focus his avodas Hashem
as a Levi, a Yissachar, or a Zevulun. (Most of us try to be some
of each.)

Micha Berger             How wonderful it is that
micha at aishdas.org        nobody need wait a single moment
http://www.aishdas.org   before starting to improve the world.
Fax: (270) 514-1507              - Anne Frank Hy"d