[Avodah] Mar'is Ayin - Hefsed Merubah

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Mar 9 18:31:43 PST 2016

On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 02:22:44AM -0500, Moshe Yehuda Gluck via Avodah wrote:
: The Aruch Hashulchan OC 244 says a few times that in cases of Hefsed Merubah
: we're not worried about Mar'is Ayin. This is counter-intuitive to me - if
: it's a situation of Hefsed Merubah wouldn't people be more likely to think
: that he's doing something wrong so as not to lose his money? There's an even
: bigger reason, then, to worry about V'hiyisem N'kiyim.

I dunno. I spend a lot of time on line; I have seen many people assume the
worst of people even when more plausible interpretations exist. And this
week is Pequdei -- even Moshe Rabbeinu wasn't safe from the cynics.

Personally I would not assume people are more likely to assume a profit
motive even if it more likely. Not when the other interpretation allows
the watcher to feel superior to the person watched.

Micha Berger             For a mitzvah is a lamp,
micha at aishdas.org        And the Torah, its light.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - based on Mishlei 6:2
Fax: (270) 514-1507