[Avodah] malchei yisrael

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Mar 9 15:52:51 PST 2016

On 03/09/2016 05:44 PM, saul newman via Avodah wrote:
> the gmara describes conditions for which annointing oil was used ,
> and in which cases kings needed annointing .  as certain malchei
> yisrael [as opposed to malchei yehuda ] were described as needing
> annointing , i am wondering why chazal considers any validity to
> malchei yisrael in the first place.
>
> this was a breakaway kingdom , away from mainstream halacha in terms
> of idolatry; and there is no biblical validity to a non-yehuda king.
> in what sense is it relevant to apply normative halachic principles
> to an abberant society ?

Malchei Yisrael were legitimate kings the same way any king is legitimate;
by the recognition of their people.  And their kingdoms did follow halacha
as the default.  When they deviated from it it *was* a deviation, exactly
as happened in the Southern kingdom.

For instance, Ach'av served kosher food in his hall, as discussed early
in  Chulin.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week