[Avodah] ___melech, ____malach

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Mar 9 14:48:51 PST 2016

On 03/09/2016 05:40 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 05:31:20PM -0500, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> : That this is true of Him doesn't mean it can't be true (in a much
> : more limited way, of course) of anyone else.   David was a king in the
> : past, since he didn't die he is still a king, and he will be a king in
> : the future, but his kingdom didn't start before creation, won't last
> : past the end of the world, and was only ever "me'ein" the kingdom of
> : Heaven.
>
> So then it's not "le'olam va'ed". The formulation can only refer to the
> One Who is lemaalah min hazman.

The meaning of "le`olam" depends on its context.  There can be a "le`olam"
within a limited universe.
1."Yechi Adoni Hamelech David Le`olam".
2. "Ve'eshmera torasecha tamid le`olam va`ed".
3. "Veyashav sham `ad `olam".

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week