[Avodah] ___melech, ____malach

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Mar 9 14:31:20 PST 2016

On 03/09/2016 05:19 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> : 1] can any answer other than RBSO  be correct ?
>
> No. To quote the poet:
>
>      Master of the Universe / Eternal Master
>      Who ruled before all of existence was created.
> 	When everything was made through His "Desire"
> 	His name was still called "King".
>      And after everything is complete,
>      He will still reign in awe.
> 	He Was, He Is,
> 	and He Will be in Splendor.
>      He is One, there is no second,
>      to be compared to Him. to consort with Him...
>
> But never mind that poet. Ashrei ("Malkhusekha") or the pasuq from
> Zekhariah most tack on to the end of Aleinu:
>      Hashem with then be King over the whole world,
>      on that day Hashem will be One, and His name, one.

That this is true of Him doesn't mean it can't be true (in a much
more limited way, of course) of anyone else.   David was a king in the
past, since he didn't die he is still a king, and he will be a king in
the future, but his kingdom didn't start before creation, won't last
past the end of the world, and was only ever "me'ein" the kingdom of
Heaven.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week