[Avodah] ___melech, ____malach

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Mar 9 13:33:48 PST 2016

On 03/09/2016 03:45 PM, saul newman via Avodah wrote:
> if someone  states
>
> __  melech  __  malach  __ yimloch leolam vaed
>
> 1] can any answer other than RBSO  be correct ?
> 2] if any other answer  is inserted ,  is the result kefira?

Another answer may certainly be correct, and is not at all heretical.
But since this phrasing is usually used of Hashem, it seems to me that
using it of someone else, no matter how technically correct it may be,
is deliberately provocative and inappropriate, because it *calls to mind*
Hashem's melucha.  In the same way that it's forbidden to mention Malchus
Shomayim and Malchus Beis Dovid in the same context, it's wrong (though
AFAIK not actually forbidden) to refer to any king in a way that is
designed to bring to mind Malchus Shomayim.   A phrase that comes to mind
(though not 100% on target) is "de'istamesh besago".

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week