[Avodah] Ten Lost Tribes

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Mar 9 10:13:02 PST 2016

Sorry for hitting "send" too soon.

On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 12:00om EST, I wrote:
: I couldn't find anyone commenting on

to finish the sentence: either Sanhedrin (mishnah 10:3; bavli 94b, 110b;
Y-mi 10:4-5 vilna 53b) nor Melachim 1 11:31 at the start of Malkhus
Yisrael, who discussed how there are 10 shevatim not 9.

So,
: Personally, I flip-flop between two theories:

The idea being that 9 shevatim were lost as part of Malchus Yisrael,
and Shim'on was a "lost tribe" while still from Malchus Yehudah.
Which doesn't help understand Melakhim 1, but then if you recall I
cited Chazal and didn't have Melakhim 1 pointed out to me until this
conversation.

Then the question becomes, how were they lost?

: 1- They got "scattered" into cities within Yehudah...

But then they are "lost" among the Jews, and not really lost. After
all, by Chazal's day, Binyamin was equally "lost".

: 2- I saw someone suggest once that Shim'on's cities were on Yehudah's
: border...
: OTOH, the advantage is that if would make it far more likely for Shim'on
: to be taken in the same manner as Malkhus Yisrael...

But it's an idisoyncratic anonymous take that also has the "kohein city"
problem.

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l