[Avodah] Moshiach Ben Yosef

Daniel M. Israel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Mar 7 20:57:31 PST 2016

I wade into this discussion with the greatest of hesitation at this point, but I did have a couple of questions.  First, RIB writes:

> Moshiach Ben Yosef prepares the ground for Moshiach Ben David. Once so
> prepared, there is a potential Moshiach Ben David at all times amongst
> the living.

I’ve heard this idea that there is always a specific person who is designated as the potential moshiach, should the time come for his arrival, but is there really a source for such a notion?

Second, regarding the following exchange:

> From: Zev Sero <zev at sero.name <mailto:zev at sero.name>>
> Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 22:03:28 -0500
>
> On 03/03/2016 09:45 PM, Isaac Balbin wrote:
>
>> What is the point of the nomenclature B'Chezkas Moshiach.
>
> It's exactly like any other chazaka in halacha.  If there is a chazaka
> that someone is Moshiach then we have to act as if he is, unless and
> until we find out otherwise.

Pshat in the Rambam is (and I never noticed this before) that he is already a melech, and then we enter into the question of whether he has chezkas moshiach.  Which, I think, makes it possible to strengthen RIB’s question, namely, what specific practical difference does it make that an individual is b’chezkas moshiach, over and above all the authorities he already has as a melech?

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu