[Avodah] What Do French Jews Do On Shabbath?

Arie Folger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Mar 7 15:31:32 PST 2016

R'Martin Bluke asked on my explanation regarding the case of RYS being
stuck in an apartment in Paris, to which I said that under such
circumstances amira le'akum was a lesser issue that could be permitted:
> I can understand using this kind of heter for a one time situation where
> you are visiting somewhere and have no choice. However, should we rely on
> this kind of heter weekly for a long term period? Can/should a person live
> in a place where every week he needs to rely on a heter amira leaqum
> b'makom mitzva to go to shut and get home?

My response: indeed. And in fact, many French Jews find ways to overcome
this challegne. However, as I indicated in an earlier mail, I won't comment
on list how they do so.

--
Arie Folger,
Recent blog posts on http://rabbifolger.net/

* Koscheres Geld (Podcast)
<http://rabbifolger.net/2016/02/15/koscheres-geld-podcast/>

* Kennt die Existenz nur den Chaos? G”ttliches Vorsehen im Jüdischen
Gedankengut (Podcast)
<http://rabbifolger.net/2016/02/14/kennt-die-existenz-nur-den-chaos-gttliches-vorsehen-im-judischen-gedankengut-podcast/>

* Halacha zum Wochenabschnitt: Baruch Hu uWaruch Schemo
<http://rabbifolger.net/2016/02/11/halacha-zum-wochenabschnitt-baruch-hu-uwaruch-schemo/>

* Is there Order to the World? Providence in Jewish Thought
<http://rabbifolger.net/2016/02/09/is-there-order-to-the-world-providence-in-jewish-thought/>

* What is Modern Orthodoxy (from a radio segment)
<http://rabbifolger.net/2016/02/08/what-is-modern-orthodoxy-from-a-radio-segment/>