[Avodah] tenets of faith

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Mar 7 14:30:26 PST 2016

On Fri, Mar 04, 2016 at 11:54:26AM +0200, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
: I think a harder question would be someone who says he doesnt accept the
: Rambam's
: tenets of faith pointing to the book of Marc Shapiro of rishonim that
: disagreed with each and everyone of the tenets...

The question isn't R/Dr MS's historical analysis but the specific beis
din's pesaq of what defines apiqursus, as well as how many other BD
agree and whether they're willing to make a geir that fewer or more
posqim would accept.

Equally irrelevant is use of "apiqoreis" in the polemical sense.

Nu, so we're ore machmir than many rishonim on defining these categories.

: disagreed with each and everyone of the tenets. e.g. the convert says that
: G-d has a body based in fact on kabbalistic texts.

Then he misunderstood qabbalah. I know this is off topic, but even RM Taqu
argues that you cannot rule out Hashem having a body, not that he does.

And what's funny about it is how much his argument starts the same as the
Rambam's. Both note that we canot underrstand G-d. Therefore the Rambam
takes the road of negatives -- He only has "attributes" that define what
He isn't. And RMT says that therefore we cannot intellectually assess
nevu'ah to say this part must be mashal.

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l