[Avodah] Solar oven

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Mar 7 13:54:30 PST 2016

On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 11:43:17PM +0200, Lisa Liel wrote:
: Except of course that this isn't the case.  A typical dud shemesh
: has a switch inside the home.  When that switch is turned on, there
: is an electrical backup.  When it is turned off, there isn't one.
: Most frum Jews that I know are makpid to turn that switch off before
: Shabbat, which eliminates the problem of SSK later editions.  Unless
: we're being gozer shema someone accidentally leaves it on.  Which
: isn't a reasonable concern, because you can see whether it's on or
: not.

It is accepted as fact in some circles that R' Neuwirth didn't believe
the "yeish lehachmir". Rather, he got pressured by the usual suspects
and caved. And that's why he didn't go as far as "tzarikh".

In any case, a chumerah to avoid the week where you forgot that you
forgot to shut off the feed from the boiler is not a gezeirah. It's more
like "tov lehachmir" to put tape on the bathroom lightswitch to avoid
late night mistakes.

Micha Berger             Problems are not stop signs,
micha at aishdas.org        they are guidelines.
http://www.aishdas.org           - Robert H. Schuller
Fax: (270) 514-1507