[Avodah] What to use for karpas

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Mar 6 09:07:39 PST 2016

On 03/06/2016 11:17 AM, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> MB 473:20 says that one may use any species of yerek for karpas, but
> lechatchila, one should use a species that has the same bracha as
> maror. What sort of yerek is he excluding? What sort of yerek has a
> bracha other than haadamah?

If a species is not usually eaten raw it's shehakol, so Lechatchila it
should not be used for karpas.  See the Magen Avraham's discussion about
parsley, which was the minhag in his time and place, and whether raw
parsley is shehakol or ha'adama.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week