[Avodah] Halacha Yomis - Hafrashas challah, liquid batter

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Feb 25 12:26:31 PST 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 08:17:52AM -0500, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: OU Kosher Halacha Yomis
:> Q. Do liquid batters such as cake batters require hafrashas challah?
:> However, some will not make a beracha on hafrashas challah on cake in
:> deference to the opinion of Aruch Hashulchan ([YD] 329:15).

It's a sign of the tiomes that the AhS's position is the one taken in
deference. One could say that a belila rakah isn't chayav in challah,
as per the Tur (ad loc) who cites the Rosh.

Even the BY would exempt most cake for other reasons, not belilah raqah
(or not BR alone): if the resulting cakes doesn't have a to'ar lekhem
(citing his father too). In the SA, se'if 1 vs 2, he seems to make the
distinction more depend on sponginess or soaked in honey, which could
well exclude cake. For that matter so could his discussion of belilah
rakah kneaded with a mashqeh instad of water, depending on how much of
the liquid is water vs egg and other liquids.

The AhS quotes the Tur who says Rabbein Tam requires challah (in contrast
to his own psaq). And he mentions the chumerah of hafrashas challah
without a berakhah, but "uLAD ein la'asos kein" for two reasons:
(1) Most of our rabbis disagree. Like R' Shimshon baal haTosafos (also
via the Tur), the Ramban, and more..
(2) Even according to RT this is only with water, not egs. The Y-mi says
that a dough made of mei peiros

So this isn't really in deference to the AhS. It's in deference to
rov rishonim, and against the AhS who tells you specifically to ignore
this compromise.

It I weren't nervous to 2nd guess the OU rav who authored this piece,
I would say that we separate challah lechumerah, in deference to the SA,
but it's not iqar hadin.

Also related: The AhS OC 112:21 says that belilah rakah (giving the
examples of pancakes or blintzes) or bishul, not afiyah, and are subject
to bishul aku"m -- not pas aku"m. No possibility of pancake palter.

And in OC 168:28, he rules that a belilah rakah is a mezonos, not hamotzi.
And he even quotes the BY.

So across the board, the AhS is saying bread comes from dough (belilah
avah) not batter (belilah rakah). But lo zakhisi lehavin -- the BY doesn't
seem consistent -- for berakhos it's mezonos, for hafrashas challah,
it's bread? Help, anyone?

Micha Berger             A sick person never rejects a healing procedure
micha at aishdas.org        as "unbefitting." Why, then, do we care what
http://www.aishdas.org   other people think when dealing with spiritual
Fax: (270) 514-1507      matters?              - Rav Yisrael Salanter