[Avodah] Archaeologists discover 7, 000-year-old Jerusalem settlement

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Feb 19 08:41:39 PST 2016

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 10:52:01AM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
: On 02/19/2016 06:29 AM, Micha Berger wrote:
:> Tin is too ductile, it would have to be a tin alloy.

: Tin is less ductile than gold, and yet they had gold keilim.
: And pewter for tableware was 99% tin and 1% copper.

I could accept that bedil means pewter, which I hadn't realized was that
old.

We need to do something with the etymology, though.

:> Similarly ofares. Lead keilim? Figurines, beads -- ie gelumim (see
:> Sifra ad loc), yes. But a keli with walls of lead? A lead plate?

: The Romans cooked in lead pots.

The Romans were much later, and wouldn't have been relevant unless you
thought I meant it was impossible in principle -- like tin keilim. But
there is no indication anyone was doing this. They found figurines,
balls, in China -- lead coins, but not keilim.

This might be techonological. The Romans worked with lead by making it
into sheets that were then shaped and welded together. Much the way cans
were made, not that long ago. I was assuming that the reason why we do
not find lead keilim from the days of the chumah is that the techniques
the Bronze Age was using for copper and Bronze wouldn't work for lead.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             "And you shall love H' your G-d with your whole
micha at aishdas.org        heart, your entire soul, and all you own."
http://www.aishdas.org   Love is not two who look at each other,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      It is two who look in the same direction.