[Avodah] The Jewish Press: Oldest Torah Scroll Proves Yemenite, Chabad Versions Right

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Feb 15 11:37:43 PST 2016

It isn't a "Chabad" version.  There's nothing Chabad about it.  It's
simply the Ashkenazi tradition.   Hei is the Sefardi tradition.  The
Alter Rebbe had nothing to do  with it, except to follow it because
it *was* the Ashkenazi tradition.  I suppose he was asked because
chassidim were changing many minhagim to conform to Sefardi practise,
so a sofer may have thought to change this one as well, and the AR
told him not to.

In any case, this doesn't even indicate, let alone "prove", which version
right.  It just show that this *is* the Ashkenazi tradition, which we
already knew.  That doesn't mean it's better than the Sefardi tradition;
although we may not have Sefardi sifrei torah from that period, we know
that they were written with a hei.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week