[Avodah] Vayichad Yisro - Disparaging Non-Jews

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Feb 10 13:39:48 PST 2016

On 02/10/2016 02:20 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
>   When it comes to serarah, the NbY (qama CM 1) says that Rechav'am
>  was not barred as a ben geirim.

I looked up the NBY, and it's not as represented.  The question was
from Tosfos Sotah 41b dh Oso Hayom, where RI suggests that although
for all seraros it's enough for one parent to  be mizera Yisrael,
for melech *and only for melech* both parents must be.  So it's not a
question lehalacha, it's a question on the Tosfos.  How can the Tosfos
hold this, when Rechavam's mother was a giyores.

The NBY gives two answers.  The first accepts the premise that she
was a giyores, but suggests that this strict construction of "mikerev
achecha" applies only to "som tasim", the initial appointment; but
Rechavam didn't need appointing because he inherited it from his
father, so it wasn't a problem.

The second answer is to question the premise of the question; who says
Rechavam's mother was a giyores?  The Kesef Mishna says so, but where
did he get it?  So maybe RI holds that she wasn't.

What comes out of all this is that nobody (except maybe the Tur,
I haven't looked there)  holds Rechavam had the status of a ger.
There is one opinion that *if* his mother was a giyores then he
could not be *appointed* king, but he could inherit it.   Lehalacha,
though, he could be appointed too, because we don't pasken like RI.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week