[Avodah] Rav Shimon Schwab on Women Learning Torah

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Feb 7 01:45:52 PST 2016

On 2/5/2016 12:14 AM, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
> Just to point out something that may be obvious: By saying that a
> women can obtain prophecy without learning Torah, RSS is also
> inferring that a man requires Talmud Torah to obtain prophecy.  In
> that regard, RSS is agreeing with the Rambam and my original question
> then returns: why the differentiation?

It seems obvious that men lack something women have, and that that they
need Talmud Torah to obtain it or to make up for its lack.

On 2/5/2016 5:26 PM, T613K at aol.com wrote:
> They are very admirable and wise, but it is a fact that despite such
> exceptions to the rule, the rule still is that learning Torah Shebe'al
> Peh in depth does little or nothing for the vast majority of women
> from a spiritual point of view.

For the record, while I enjoy learning Gemara, I don't think it's ever
done anything for me spiritually.  I didn't even know that was a thing.
It's informative and intellectually stimulating, but that's about it.

Lisa