[Avodah] Rav Shimon Schwab on Women Learning Torah

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Feb 3 13:15:27 PST 2016

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 09:57:00PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: I fear that this quote is an example of this. It seems that Rav Schwab
: claims to know that "the object of talmud Torah" is to "become greater in
: yiras Shamayim", and he concludes that a woman would *not* become greater
: in yiras Shamayim even if she learns Torah. I cannot understand how someone
: can reach that conclusion.

Maybe he finds it in "reishis chokhmah yir'as Hashem"?

Or "vayomer le'adam: hein yir'as H' he chokhmah..." (Iyov 28:12)

And quoting that pasuq in Iyov, Bamidbar Rabba 10:1 says "chokhmah
hi yir'as Hashem".

Or maybe DE Zutah 5 "hadar Torah chokhmah, hadar chokhmah anavah,
hadar anavah yir'ah". (Then mitzvah then tzeni'us. See
<http://www.daat.ac.il/daat/toshba/makor/zuta/5-2.htm>.)

"Im ein chokhmah, ein yir'ah; im ein yir'ah, ein chokhmah" (R' Elezar ben
Azarah, Avos 3:21) But if this really meant some kind of equivalence,
the mishnah would also be ending by saying the point of food is Torah
and the point of Torah is food.

Micha Berger             What you get by achieving your goals
micha at aishdas.org        is not as important as
http://www.aishdas.org   what you become by achieving your goals.
Fax: (270) 514-1507              - Henry David Thoreau