[Avodah] How did Abraham Discover God? The Experiential Approach

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Feb 1 15:27:10 PST 2016

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 12:38:27AM +0200, Lisa Liel via Avodah wrote:
: On 2/1/2016 11:23 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
: >The EY brings the question into the here-and-now, the practical. How do
: >we relate to the G-d Who lets His Own palace burn?
:
: It's only a question if you understand dolek as burning in that sense.

Well, the Etz Yoseif does, yes.
http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=14385&pgnum=89
and I think that's his whole point.

But I didn't mean "question" in the sense you're taking it.

Rather:
The Rambam's position is that one knows about G-d theologically, and he
understands the medrash as describing Avraham's discovery accordingly.
The world "illuminated palace" that deslares its Owners existence.

The Or Hashem values knowing G-d personally through religious encounter,
and that's why his illuminated palace revelation is incomplete until
HQBH spoke to Avraham.

And the Eitz Yoseif places the emphasis on knowing G-d through how we
encounter Him in life and history. So that grappling with theodicy,
why does Hashem let His Palace burn, becomes part of the relationship
with G-d -- an emunah exercise, rather than a challenge.

Micha Berger             Man is capable of changing the world for the
micha at aishdas.org        better if possible, and of changing himself for
http://www.aishdas.org   the better if necessary.
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - Victor Frankl, Man's search for Meaning