[Avodah] How did Abraham Discover God? The Experiential Approach

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Feb 1 13:23:08 PST 2016

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 04:13:59PM -0500, Micha Berger wrote:
: So, beqitzur, R/Dr Seth / Avi Kadish gives three explanations for the
: medrash of the Illuminated or Burning fortress, the first two of which
: highlight the debate between the Jewish Scholasticists (pro-Maimonidians)
: and the allegedly less rationalist rishonim.
:
: It's that chiluq I wanted to bring under discussion...

It is also interesting to look at the meta-issues behind the second
chiluq -- the machloqes between Or Hashem's approach to the medrash and
the Eitz Yoseif's. Both are about our relationship with the Creator
as a "Person", but...

The OH asks about experiencing G-d in the religious moment. His metaphor
is the moment of prophecy.

The EY brings the question into the here-and-now, the practical. How do
we relate to the G-d Who lets His Own palace burn?

Micha Berger             "As long as the candle is still burning,
micha at aishdas.org        it is still possible to accomplish and to
http://www.aishdas.org   mend."
Fax: (270) 514-1507          - Anonymous shoemaker to R' Yisrael Salanter