[Avodah] free will

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jan 29 12:02:56 PST 2016

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 12:17pm EST, RnTK wrote:
: From my own experience I would say that it's true that every Jew, or almost
: every Jew, really does have what you call an "inner neshama" that really
: wants  to do good.

I think the discussion of whether or not non-conscious (subconsious,
preconscious, unconscious, what have you) even exist is one of those
proofs that sufficiently bright people can make a case for anything.
Even to deny that something we all do hundreds of times a day is possible.

That said, the discussion here needn't rest on aqccepting the reality
of a non-conscious. As I wrote before, that "inner neshamah" (pintele
yid) or that desire to belong to the community (which I agree with RET
is clearly what the Rambam is speaking of) could well be speaking loud
and consciously, but being drowned out.

And, as I said before, it saves us from having to take the inquisitional
stance that someoe who is agreeing while under duress is really doing
something willingly.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             A cheerful disposition is an inestimable treasure.
micha at aishdas.org        It preserves health, promotes convalescence,
http://www.aishdas.org   and helps us cope with adversity.
Fax: (270) 514-1507         - R' SR Hirsch, "From the Wisdom of Mishlei"