[Avodah] free will

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jan 27 22:40:28 PST 2016

<<I believe I can prove there is an unconscious although I can't prove
there's a "deep unconscious" that influences our conscious behavior.  I can
prove that there is at the very least a "shallow unconscious" that goes on
working without our awareness.  My proof is logical, experiential:

 I think everyone would agree to a "shallow unconscious ". An obvious case
is a baseball
player who swings his bat before he evewn consciously sees the ball.

However, the beginning of the discussion involved the Rambam who seems to
hold
that every Jew has an "inner neshamah" that wants to do good
(unconsciously) even though the person himself is completely irreligious.

R Avraham, Shnerb and others claim that this is not what Rambam means and
there is no
such thing as a Jewish unconscious wish to do mitzvot. Rather Rambam is
stating that in his society a Jew remains Jewish because he wants to remain
part of the community. The only choices were to be a member of the Jewish
community or else convert to another religion, No chilonim.
As such a man who refuses to give a "get" to his wife realized that to
remain part of the Jewish community he really has to comply with the rules.
Thus even though he refuses after the bet din beats him he gives it
willingly because he is still part of the community and has not left.

Has nothing to do with unconscious feelings. R Avraham explicitly states
that as such the halacha would change today when society has changed.

--
Eli Turkel