[Avodah] 2 maariv minyans due to the snowstorm

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jan 26 09:45:53 PST 2016

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 04:02:11PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
:                                                   Would you have said
: atah chonantanu at the shkia minyan? Why? Would you have stayed home to
: daven at the normal time rather than btzibbur earlier

See Berakhos 27b. There is no indication that there is any problem
whatsoever saying Atah Chonantanu and even Havdalah al hakos while
it's still Shabbos. Lots of amoraim cited doing so are pasqening
it's okay, no dissenters.

However the SA OC 293:2 limits this to someone who is anoos, such as he
needs to end Shabbos at the edge of techum to do some mitzvah. And the SA
is clear, this is even "kesha'ah vereva LIFNEI sheqi'as hachamah"!

Then we get to the AhS who quotes the BY lehalakhah, but then adds "amnam
miyameinu lo ra'inu velo shamanu la'asos kezeh, ve'ein la'asos kein".
Citing Rashal, the Bach and the MA.

So, I would think that if the shul's LOR said that minyan and safety
justify this minyan, he did not err to hold like the BY and Rama, and
except for the fact that this is Avodah, where we bat around ideas for
fun, it would have been wrong to 2nd-guess him.

Micha Berger             Take time,
micha at aishdas.org        be exact,
http://www.aishdas.org   unclutter the mind.
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - Rabbi Simcha Zissel Ziv, Alter of Kelm