[Avodah] Toiveling a Tray

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Mar 17 07:36:40 PDT 2016

OU Kosher Halacha Yomis

Q. This Purim, I am planning to send cookies to my neighbor on a
metal tray for mishloach manos. Should I tovel the tray, or should my
neighbor perform the tevilah?

A. Bais Yosef (Yoreh De'ah 120) writes that tevilah is only required
for utensils used with food. Thus, if a Jewish store owner buys
utensils from a non-Jew for resale, the merchant is not obligated to
perform the mitzvah of tevilah. Since there is no mitzvah, even if
the merchant was tovel the utensils, the tevilah would be
ineffective; the purchaser would be required to perform tevilah in
spite of the earlier tevilah. Similarly, a tray purchased as a
stand-alone gift cannot be toveled before it reaches the recipient.
However, if the gift will be a tray with food on it (such as
mishloach manos on a tray), there is a dispute whether the giver is
required to perform tevilah. Therefore, the proper procedure in the
latter case is for the giver to tovel the tray without a bracha and
then inform the recipient that he too should tovel the tray without a bracha.

More about this program and to subscribe visit
https://oukosher.org/halacha-yomis-email/