[Avodah] Bira Doleqes

Seth (Avi) Kadish via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Feb 8 20:06:02 PST 2016

Personal exchange forwarded at RAK's request. Transliteration mine.

-micha

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 3:37 AM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
> I had a chance to glance at Rn Simi Peter's treatment of that medrash. She
> is a list member, so any discussion of a medrash should lead me to her
> work; and if not, she'll eventually remind me to take a peak.

> Have you seen her take on the birah doleqes? There is a large overlap in
> how each of you parse the medrash itself.

Wow, this goes back many years and I think you are right. I haven't
thought about it at all for a very long time. Perhaps 10-12 years ago
(?) I was looking for good material for a course on midrash and for
Nativ. For this particular midrash, I think, I found a good literary
breakdown in her book at the library. Sometime later I added the
philosophical analysis as a major expansion and reworking of a a brief
comment in a book by Zev Harvey. I taught it that way for years from
the plain source sheet (with the midrash plus citations from Rambam and
Crescas), and then expanded it into the article.

You now have the zekhut to bring back to mind where it all evolved from
in the first place. When I have a chance (perhaps later today) I will add
this in a comment to the article. You can also forward this to her (with
my thanks) and/or the mailing list in the spirit of [hameivi davar besheim
omro].

Avi

Seth (Avi) Kadish
Karmiel, Israel