[Avodah] octal arithmetic

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Dec 4 03:42:46 PST 2015

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 05:45:33PM -0500, David Riceman via Avodah wrote:
: The Ramban in his commentary on Iyov 5:19 (ed. Chavel p. 40) says
: that seven is "sof hacheshbon".  What does he mean?

I know 10 is called "sof hacheshbon" because we do base-ten arithmetic.
And this is, al pi Google, the most discussed usage.

However, couldn't the Ramban simply mean that the seventh was the end
of what the satan's cheshbon for what he was doing to Iyov? As in
the completeness of sheva - shavua - sova (- shevua?).

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Every child comes with the message
micha at aishdas.org        that God is not yet discouraged with
http://www.aishdas.org   humanity.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   - Rabindranath Tagore