[Avodah] Ahab

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Dec 4 03:36:48 PST 2015

According to R' Hutner (Pachad Yitzchaq, Chanukah #5), Yishmael had to
opt in, but Esav actually was born in and opted out.

H/T RYGB @ https://youtu.be/rjcRNTbtCpc

I argued that intermarriage was about Beris Sinai, and therefore not
applicable. If you argued that it was about Beris Avos, it would seem
RYH would inist that since Yaaqov's generation you can be born in,
and the question is only which parent.

BTW, this fits the understanding of Esav as a failed partner in the
venture, the side that was supposed to provide the material resources
while Yaaqov povided the spirituality. And that's why Yitzchaq, despite
actually knowing that Esav was the hunter who married into the local
tribe, wanted to bless him with "mital hashamayim umishmani ha'aretz".

Esav opted out of all that, but it was indeed who he was supposed to
be.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Never must we think that the Jewish element
micha at aishdas.org        in us could exist without the human element
http://www.aishdas.org   or vice versa.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch