[Avodah] Changing Nusach heTefilah

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Nov 16 14:31:55 PST 2015

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 01:08:54PM -0500, Michael Poppers via Avodah wrote:
: In Avodah V33n143, R'Micha asked:
:> Is there a difference between a few retail changes like those above,
:> and a wholesale change in nusach -- like the mass change to Sfard or Ari?

: I suspect R'Micha was asking in a semi-rhetorical fashion while implying,
: via what he wrote before asking that Q, that the answer is no.  Regardless,
: my 1st thought is that the answer should be "it depends"....

Actually, I was thinking of a different "it depends"...

Apparently we allow small changes (Yisgadeil veYisqadeish, for example)
because they make more sense to the people making the change. But
reluctant to make sweeping changes -- although they too have happened
on rare occasion.

So, it seems to me there is a non-boolean scale here. The greater the
change, the greater the necessary motivation, but it is

: when the #words in the given stanza is considered key to a deeper
: understanding and/or *kavvannah*, e.g. the section which immediately
: follows *q'riyas Shma* in Shacharis [100 words through "zulasecha"], a
: seemingly-minor change is significant, perhaps as significant as the order
: of *p'suqei d'zimra*...

And yet, PdZ as a whole isn't me'aqeiv. The Rambam only requires one
kapitl (Tehillah leDavid from Ashrei, #145), Rashi only requires two
kapitalakh (Halelukah, Halelu es H' Min Hashamayim, #148; and Halelukah,
Halelu Keil beQodsho, #150). And that's to be yotzei a non-chiyuv!

So how significant is the order?

And is the word count significant if the mispalel in question had a
greater teshuqah to some other idea?

My question is broadening into one about nusach and nomianism. Given
that one can be yotzei with either nusach alternative in question,
it seems to be all about minhagim WRT minhag vs kavanah, which is part
of the iqar mitzvah.

Contrary to implying the answer is that no change is possible, I am
wondering why any change (again, assuming some minima are met) would
be worse than paying in how passionately one davens.

Micha Berger             There's only one corner of the universe
micha at aishdas.org        you can be certain of improving,
http://www.aishdas.org   and that's your own self.
Fax: (270) 514-1507      	    - Aldous Huxley