[Avodah] Shehecheyanu on Matza

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Oct 20 10:56:12 PDT 2015

On 10/20/2015 01:41 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 05:43:19PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> : Sure you would.  A sukkah is a major possession...
>
> Today's reusable prefab, yes. I don't think that's the historical norm.

Of course it was.  The closer ones house was to a shack, the greater
the sukkah was in comparison!

> (Certainly not the AhS's typical sukkah, which was opening part of your
> roof.

If that was done at all in Litta, it was certainly not typical.

> See tail of OC 626:1 and se'if 25 where he cautions "besukos
> habenyos shelanu" one must make sure the roof is open before laying
> sekhakh.)

He refers to the "shlack", the rain-roof that they would put over the
schach when it rained.

> :> In any case, OC 641:1 says that someone who makes a sukkah doesn't
> :> make the berakhah then because we are someikh on the one made at
> :> Qiddush. But he says it's "al asiyasah". Not having it, but the act
> :> of making it.
>
> : I.e. acquiring it.  If you paid someone else to make it, or just bought
> : it ready-made, would the shehecheyanu be any less?!
>
> Where's the indication it's qua acquisition and hana'ah in having a
> new keli, rather than qua heksher mitzvah?

If so then there would be a shehecheyanu on baking matzos, which we
would fold into the shehecheyanu of kiddush, and RAM's question would
return in full force.

> Again, mitzvos lav lehanos
> nitenu -- the primary point of a sukkah isn't for the joy of using it.
> (Although a sukkah must be lehseim tzeil, not limited to lesheim mitzvah.)

Which tells you right there that a sukkah (as opposed to the mitzvah
of sitting in it) *is* leihanos.

> : >And yet, the Rama holds that if the person who didn't sit in the
> : >sukkah the first night also happened to make a shehachiyanu be'sheas
> : >asiyah, then he wouldn't make a shehechiyanu at qiddush.
>
> : No, he doesn't say that at all...
>
> Correct, I meant: ... then he wouldn't make a shehechiyanu ON IT at
> qiddush.

Of course not; he's already said shecheyanu on the sukkah, why would
he say it again?   If you said shecheyanu as soon as you saw a new
fruit in the shop, you don't say it again when you eat it.  Your
chiyuv started then, and you've discharged it, so what is left?

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week